Thursday, November 29, 2007

A New Perspective

In this article, Betsy Hart shares her opinion on what she calls, the "freak dance." She provides a description for the "freak dance" and stories from parents who have witnessed it. The first line of her article reads, "Note to my kids: Get ready -- I'm going to chaperone every high school dance you attend." Hart obviously believes that the "freak dance" is inappropriate. Hart explains how today's dance moves are too sexual, and they put females in sexual danger. She went on to say that the way a parent reacts to the inappropriate dance moves at high school dances is a "metaphor for how we raise them from the start." She also questions the motives of the parents who approve of the dancing.

Are there guys out there who will take advantage of a girl who will grind with him? Yes, there are. We all know this. Is the dancing inappropriate? I believe it is. I also agree that some parents need to wake up and realize what's going on. I recently went to one of my good friend's sweet 16 party, and there was a lot of inappropriate dancing going on. You know who had the most fun? The group of kids that jumped up and down, ran around, and probably looked like completely losers. I know they had the most fun because I was apart of the group, along with a few other AP Language bloggers out there. So if our school wants to stick by the motto of "face to face, leave some space," just accept it and stop whining already. It really isn't going to change any time soon. The school puts on the dances for us to enjoy, so just abide by the rules set and make the best of it. I'd rather have the strict rules at dances than no dances at all.

Betsy Hart's use of rhetorical questions really helped provide a bridge between her opinion on inappropriate dancing itself and how parents respond to it. I think the most effective was, "Because they are proud of the public foreplay their children are engaging in?" I can just picture the parent saying, "Well no, but..." I believe that through this rhetorical question she really pressures the reader, if a parent, to ask themselves, "Why do I approve of this?" Without the questions, I don't think she could get her readers thought process going. Her question made the parents question their own motives for their apathetic reaction to the dancing, which to me, made all the difference in the world. Her focus through the use of those questions made the article an attention grabber to parents. The rhetorical questions changed the perspective from "Hey parents. Pay attention to what's going on," rather than the typical, "Oh, kids these days. What has the world come to?"

No comments: